Petzl have done the right thing and announced a total recall of the Petzl ZigZag. See notice below.
This information is complementary to and supersedes the Safety Alert issuedApril 19, 2013
Summary of the facts:
On Friday, April 12, Petzl was informed of an accidental fall in a training center in Germany. This fall was related to a failure of the rope end attachment hole of the Petzl ZIGZAG mechanical Prusik.We have since been informed of another identical failure.
These failures were the result of a particular configuration of a cantilevered and off-axis loaded upper carabiner.
Petzl believes that this incorrect positioning of the connector could inadvertently occur during normal use with the potential for serious injury or death.
Continued use of the ZIGZAG poses a risk of serious injury or death.
Petzl has decided to immediately recall all ZIGZAGs.
As a measure of precaution, we ask that you:
- Immediately stop using the ZIGZAG
- Contact Petzl America After Sales and Service: firstname.lastname@example.org -or- (877) 807-3805 to initiate the return process
- Return the ZIGZAG to Petzl AmericaPetzl America will pay for all shipping costs.
You can then choose from the following options:
- Credit for other Petzl products (equal to the retail price of the ZIGZAG + 30%)
- A complete refund of the purchase price
For more information about this recall:
- Consult the ZIGZAG recall FAQ (see below for link to download the original recall document and FAQ in PDF format)
- Contact Petzl America: email@example.com -or- (877) 807-3805
A new version of the ZIGZAG is currently being developed and will be available in January 2014.
We are fully aware of the inconvenience caused by this issue. Please accept our full apologies. Thank you for your continued trust.
The RECALL process described above is from an American perspective. Here in New Zealand the recall process might be a little different. Treetools will post more as information comes to hand.