Petzl has now found the causes of the potential appearance of such a crack. Technical improvements are already in progress. An updated communication will be given simultaneous worldwide release on 23rd July 2014. This communication will include a clear explanation of the causes of the potential of such cracks and a description of the actions which have been taken to prevent cracks forming in the future. (The 23 July 2014 PETZL ZIGZAG INFORMATION UPDATE is available now on the Petzl website).
Petzl confirm that a cracked link presents no risk to the user. However, as with any personal protective equipment (PPE), the presence of a crack requires immediate retirement of the device, which will be replaced under warranty. We are committed to continuous improvement of our products, and we act as soon as we detect a potential customer insatisfaction (sic).
Petzl confirm that the world wide ZIGZAG return rate for such a crack is below 2 /1000.
Petzl has always been transparent with our communication. User safety is always our first priority, and we will not hesitate to stop sales and recall products if we have any doubt.
If your ZIGZAG passes the normal Petzl PPE inspection procedure and the chain is free from cracks you can continue to use your ZIGZAG, but you will still need to carry out your regular thorough and pre-use checks as usual for all PPE.
Petzl decisions and recommendations for ZIGZAG and ZILLON devices:
- A cracked link presents no additional immediate risk to the user. However, as with any personal protective equipment (PPE), the presence of such a crack requires immediate retirement of the device
- Considering the very low rates of potentially cracked links, and taking into consideration that a cracked link presents no additional immediate risk to the user, only cracked devices will be replaced
- The replacement of a cracked device will be carried out under warranty. The warranty for this defect has been extended to 10 years
- Regularly inspect your device in accordance with the Petzl PPE checking procedure
- In the unlikely event you find a cracked link, retire your device immediately and contact the Petzl distributor in your country